Saturday, April 4, 2009

9. The Kite Runner


Hosseini, Khaled. The Kite Runner. Berkley Publishing Group: New York, 2003.
Annotation: Two young boys face life in Afghanistan while dealing with political turmoils, the rise of the Taliban, and a betrayal that will forever lead to regret.
Justification for Nomination: At first read, I questioned whether I had picked the right Alex award winning book because of its graphic nature. The "Kite Runner" presented itself in a gritty and raw presentation that I found hard to believe for YA readers to attach themselves to it. If anything I would have labeled this a pure adult novel due to the sexual connotations, language and descriptions.
I took myself back to my YA years (which doesn't feel that long ago) and questioned whether or not I would have even attempted a book of this magnitude. As I read on I got used to the story, characters, and conflicts. The book was like a culture shock and the further you read in the book the easier the information became.
I found the book beautifully written and narrated. As stated in the "Crossing Over" article by Angelica Beneditti I reasoned on what I would tell a younger reader and it would be similar to what she had heard when she checked out the "The World According to Garp," that you should read this book when you're older. I never assume or doubt a young readers ability to understand such gritty material, but even I can admit to reading books at an older age and realizing that there were just some things that I didn't fully understand. "The Kite Runner" is full of adult material and depending on the readers self knowledge and grade level some subject matters may either confuse them or be simply glossed over.
"Kite Runner," does a phenomenal job blurring the lines between memoir and fiction. At times you felt that the author was telling a life story because of the fine sensory details you read. The emotion from conflict flows naturally and your heart breaks into a million pieces over and over again. It's like riding a bike for the first time. You seem to fall off, or step away from the book but keep coming back to learn more.
Another great aspect of this novel is that the information presented doesn't have an agenda. I often hate when films or books push the facts around so it becomes one sided. "The Kite Runner" shows the reader a different culture and line of events that happened naturally and weren't fudged to the authors transgression.
I was pleased that even though the conflict had dark moments that I didn't automatically turn away from the story because of its unfamiliar setting. It was brilliant because it's a culture some people know little about besides whats on the news and the author wasn't afraid to take you around dark corners or through a forbidden field.
Overall, I would highly recommend this story but I might warn younger readers about its adult conflict. If there were any books that followed almost every bullet point for a good adult book targeted towards YA readers "Kite Runner" would be it. This story develops new relationships with peers, has to accept physical changes of adolescence, prepares for a better life or education, acquires a new system of values/ethics and much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment